Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Taxi fleet unable to meet convention demand

Every time one of my guests inquires about a cab to the [Lancaster] train station, I tell them to leave themselves at least 2 hours. When they look at a map and see the distance, they look at me like I have three heads. I try and explain to them how bad the service is and that if they don't want to risk missing their train, they better follow my instructions.

The problem is that there is not enough consistent demand to allow any company to maintain the necessary fleet and roster of drivers to possibly meet the needs of the two or three real conventions we might have every year. Even if we had ten major conventions, it would not be enough.

Just like our air service, which will still be woefully inadequate, the only way to provide taxi service will be to subsidize it heavily...no private company could ever stay in business if they were equipped to handle even 60% of the demand that a real convention might draw 10 days per year.